top of page

Mental Health Advance Directive

A Mental Health Advance Directive is a written document that describes what you want to happen if you become so incapacitated by mental illness that your judgment is impaired and/or you are unable to communicate effectively. It can inform others about what treatment you want or don’t want, and it can identify a person to whom you have given the authority to make decisions on your behalf.

How do I complete a Mental Health Advance Directive?

You can download the form or contact the Ombuds for a copy.

Will everything in my Mental Health Advance Directive be followed?

Here are some instances in which your Mental Health Advance Directive may not be followed:

  • Your instructions are against medical standards or are unavailable.

  • Following your directive would violate state or federal law.

  • You are hospitalized under the Involuntary Treatment Act, or are in jail.

What can I do if I feel my Mental Health Advance Directive is not followed?

If you feel your mental health or medical health advance directive was not followed, you can receive information or file a complaint with the Washington State Department of Health (DOH):

All complaints are reviewed by DOH to decide if there is a violation of the law or if DOH has authority to take legal action. If there is a violation of the law and authority to take legal action DOH conducts an investigation.

If you would like further assistance with understanding and filling out your advance directive you can contact the Mental Health Ombuds at 360-280-7656 or 800-658-4105.

bottom of page